Last year, during the Japanese Theatrical screenings of Mobile Suit Gundam NT, Gundam fans were treated to a short teaser for the next Universal Century movie, Hathaway’s Flash. After the North American screenings, the teaser was released online with the release date of Winter 2020. Flash forward several months (and a NA Char’s Counterattack screening), we finally have a full trailer for the film.
From the new teaser trailer we can gather quite a bit of previously unknown information about the film:
- The English title of the film is now “Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway” whereas the Japanese title remains as “Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway’s Flash“.
- The film is advertised as the “Sequel to Char’s Counterattack” and “Long considered impossible to adapt, the legendary novel becomes a film series.”
- Original Story: Yoshiyuki Tomino, Hajime Yatate
- Director: Shuko Murase
- The RX-104FF Penelope will be animated in both 3D CG as well as 2D in a similar style to Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
- According to the description on the GundamInfo upload, Hioryuki Sawano is composing music for the film.
- The Japanese Theatrical Run begins on July 23, 2020.
No official word on a North American theatrical run but considering Gundam NT and Gundam Char’s Counterattack both had theatrical screenings that played the initial teaser for Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway, it is likely that this film will having screenings in the region as well. Hopefully, this film will have more than just a single night screening in North America.