Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Super Smash Brothers game series, recently held a special presentation on Nintendo’s official Youtube channel. The latest video features a look at the upcoming DLC fighter, Hero, from the Dragon Quest series. For those who are not aware, the “Hero” represents the various main protagonists of the Dragon Quest game series.
Each “Hero” will have a name associated with them that helps determine them from each other.
The names include:
- Eleven – Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
- Arusu – Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II, Dragon Quest III
- Solo – Dragon Quest IV
- Eight – Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Next, Sakurai revealed the voice actors/ actresses for each of the heroes.
The heroes will be voiced by:
- Mitsuki Saiga – Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Hero
- Nobuyuki Hiyama – Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II, Dragon Quest III Hero
- Takesh Kusao – Dragon Quest IV Hero
- Yuki Kaji – Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King Hero
Continuing on Sakurai revealed a closer look at the Hero’s moves. The Hero will be able to perform critical moves, which can lead to devastating damage. Each Hero will perform the critical hit differently based on their respective games. The Hero will also be able to block with his shield. The Hero’s neutral special will activate his Frizz Type Spells that can be charged to become stronger. Similar to some other fighters he can stop charging and continue to charge at a later time. This move including the other various moves he can unleash takes MP so be sure to plan accordingly.
The Hero’s side special will allow the player to unleash his Zap type spells. He will also be able to charge up this move as well. The Hero’s recovery move will unleash Woosh Type Spells. When charged the Hero can be able to fly higher for better recovery. The Woosh Type Spells can also be used to launch opponents into the air. The Hero’s down special will activate Command Selection. The Command Selection will feature a variety of different attack moves.
The moves featured include:
- Ooomph – Increase attack power for a short period of time
- Psyche Up – Increase the power for the next attack (Effect wears off after usage)
- Bounce – Reflect projectiles
- Heal – Restores health
- Flame Slash – Wide range attack
- Kacrackle Slash – Freeze Opponents
- Acceleratle – Increases speed
- Kaboom – Explosive spell
- Snooze – Put opponents to sleep
- Thwack – Potential one hit KO move (Depends on damage percentage)
- Zoom – Alternate recovery move (May cause knockback if the player hits a ceiling)
- Kaclang – Turns player invincible, however stuck in place
- Metal Slash – One hit KOs metal opponents
- Hocus Pocus – Random effect
- Magic Burst – Powerful attack that uses all MP (Damage depends on amount of MP left)
- Kamikaze – Powerful attack that KOs the user
Every time the player uses The Command Selection it will generate a random set of commands so the player cannot use every move listed above at once. By using the shield move it can cancel out the Command Selection, which will allow the player to activate it again to generate different moves.
The Hero’s Final Smash is known as the Gigaslash. As seen in the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct this will summon the various protagonists from the Dragon Quest series. The move will have a high vertical range hit box. Next, the video took a look at Yggdrasi’s Altar, which is the new stage that will be released alongside the Hero. The stage is based on one of the locations the player will journey to in Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. Certain points during a battle several platforms will appear including ones that include “treasure chests.” Players will be able to open these chests in order to summon items in the battle. However, sometimes a “Mimic” will appear that will attack the opponent who opens it as well as other opponents on the stage if they on the platform. The Mimics can be defeated and when doing so will reward the player with an item they can use in battle.
Next, Sakurai revealed that eight music tracks will also be released alongside the hero. The various music tracks will be taken from each of the various Heroes’ games.
The tracks include:
- Adventure – Dragon Quest III
- Fighting Spirits – Dragon Quest III
- Battle for Glory – Dragon Quest IV
- Wagon’s Wheel March
- War Cry
- Marching through the Fields
- The Hero Goes Forth with a Determination
- Unflinchable Courage
As usual the Spirit Board will be updated with a new set of Spirit Battles based on Dragon Quest.
Sakurai also finally revealed the release date for Challenger Pack 2, which is set to launch later today. Players who already purchased the Fighters Pass will automatically be able to play as the Hero when he launches. Additionally the Hero, the music tracks, and the stage will be available separately as a part of Challenger Pass 2, which is priced at $5.99.
Moving forward, the trailer took a look at the new upcoming DLC Mii Fighter costumes. Each of the costumes will be individually priced at $.75 and will not be apart of the Challengers Pack. The DLC Mii Fighter costumes will also be available later today.
The second batch of costumes include:
- Veronica (Sword Fighter) – Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
- Erdrick (Sword Fighter) – Dragon Quest
- Martial Artist (Brawler)
- Slime Hat
Finally, Sakurai also revealed that the Ver 4.0 Update will also be available later today. The update will include some new features, however not as big as the Ver 3.0 update
The update will feature:
- Timed Final Smash Meter Bar
- New Adventure Mode Difficulty – Very Easy Mode
- New Spectate Mode – Players will be able to predict the winner of a match to gain points that can be used in the store
- Online Tourney Mode
- Video Editor Mode – Players can now insert screenshots