Happy Saturday heroes, we have the first cosplay cafe of the year. Kicking off season three of this series right with the one and only Sara Moni. Last time I talked to Sara was five years ago going by the archives. Sara has done so much since then and I couldn’t be more happier to work with her again. This is a reintroduction to who Sara is and what she has been doing the past five years. So sit back and get to know Sara Moni.
What were you like growing up? What were some of the things that interested you?
I always liked any sort of imaginative play, make believe, and that interest never left! I used to make movies with my friends or family, but scaled back as I got older just because its so time consuming and I got so busy.
2. Who or what got you into cosplaying?
It was pretty organic from liking costumes and makeup and fantasy/scifi. I had friends that cosplayed and I wanted to be a part of it!
3. First off, congrats on working with TTDEye lenses and herwigcloset. What is it like working with those brands?
Thanks! It’s so great working with companies that “get” cosplay and modeling, and are realistic with their sponsorships. Everything I’ve received, I actually use and like– its not an empty influencer post.
4. Continuing from there, you’ve been doing more lifestyle photography along with modeling photos.What got you into doing more of those types of photos? Reading the comments those pictures get. I feel like your audience has embraced it, which I feel others would struggle with.
Going back to those sponsorships, a lot of the product that is sent to me is geared toward that styling, instead of a particular character. I was modeling before I was cosplaying and it feels good to be in touch with that side again.
5. Shifting to cosplay now, this year you gave yourself a cosplay challenge. Which was creating an original character cosplay. What was that experience like for you?
It was fun! I’ll be honest, the popular vote wasn’t what I expected and that’s why the project keeps getting pushed, but I’m trying to get renewed interest in it for Ren Faire. I need an event to keep me inspired if I’m not feeling a project.
6 .What went into making your Queen Akasha cosplay?
This was a sponsored/collaboration by FD Cosplay Studios. I repainted the top and altered the belt so it fit me a little better. The wig was also my work.
7. Off topic question, favorite food?
Free food! Hehe, I have lots of favorites to list, anything vegetarian is the base answer!
8. Congrats on being on the cover of not one but two gun magazines. What was that experience like for you?
Unexpected, but awesome! The photographers do amazing work and are so efficient with what they do. I feel like working outside of the costuming community is very refreshing. I suggest others to do the same. You’ll get a different spin on what can become tired.
9. So you’ve been cosplaying for eight years now. What keeps you in the community?
It’s still enjoyable for me. But also, representing the type of characters I do, the type of costuming I do, and letting others see that the community does not have to all look a certain way.
10. Okay, so we must talk comics a bit. When will the Young Avengers return? Runaways has come back in such a good way so I’m hoping Young Avengers return one day.
Young Avengers is so good, I’m thinking we may get to see a part of it come back in it’s own way. The limited Loki series will be happening in what we can assume will be post-Infinity War, and if that opening act is what it seems, it’s very possible we could get the story of a reborn kid Loki. The series could take place before the first Thor movie, but with Hemsworth not having a part in it, I don’t think so.
11. What is one thing you’re looking forward to this year?
If my Loki rant doesn’t give me away enough! 🙂 I’m looking forward to seeing Ronan again in Captain Marvel, because I love Lee Pace. Also, The Umbrella Academy which will be coming out on Netflix in less than a month!
12. Can you hint at any cosplay projects or lifestyle projects you’re working on?
Yes! Wondercon will be my debut of two new costumes, not sure which ones just yet. But one will definitely be a SMASHing duo!
13. What conventions can people find you at this year?
In addition to Wondercon, I’ll likely be at Phoenix Fan Fusion, AX, SDCC, and LACC, but we’ll see
14. Final question, anything you want to say to your friends you haven’t met yet?
Just want to say thanks for sticking around for as long as you have and supporting my craft! Please feel free to always come up and say hi at a con or online and I hope to see you soon!
And that’s a wrap for this interview. Also, credit goes to Deegan Marie Photography for the thumbnail image of Sara as Akasha. Links as to where you can find Sara Moni are linked down below. Instagram has become her main page so give her a follow on that platform. She’s prepping for Wondercon and I can’t wait to see what she makes for it. Until next time, I’m Ben and I’m out!