Last year, Takashi Miike announced that a sequel for “The Great Yokai War” was in production for Summer 2021. Also, since the initial announcement, details regarding its production and cast slowly began appear throughout the year. Now, for those unaware, the original film released in 2005 paying tribute to Kadokawa Daiei’s “Yokai Monsters.” The “Yokai Monsters” trilogy were feudal era based films adapting stories from Japanese mythology and folklore. Whereas, Takashi Miike’s film adapted them for the modern era, while drawing influences from Mizuki Shigeru’s manga GeGeGe no Kitarō.
Titled, “The Great Yokai War: Guardians,” the 16 year sequel will feature an all-new story for the Reiwa Era. Currently, it is believed the films are part of an anthology like the previous “Yokai Monsters” trilogy. Also, the upcoming sequel will surprisingly include Kadokawa Daiei’s cult classic character, Daimajin, following a 55 year hiatus from films. This reveal was provided by the recent release of the film’s official trailer, and production visuals. Yet, fans of the character would like to remind people that Daimaijin had a television spin-off titled Daimajin Kanon in 2010. Below is the official trailer for the upcoming film, and its current cast listing. Furthermore fans may be surprised by the casting, as it features actors from other iconic tokusatsu productions.
Cast (Character – Actor):
- Kei Watanbe – Kokoro Terada (Tokusatsu GaGaGa’s Taku Tamiya)
- Fox-Face Woman – Hana Sugisaki (Bleach 2018 film’s Rukia)
- Inugami Gyobu – Takao Osawa
- Nao Omori – as himself
- Ubume – Sakura Ando
- Yukionna – Yuko Oshima (Former AKB48 member, Child Disguise Negi Yellow)
- Amanojaku – Eiji Akaso (Kamen Rider Build’s Banjo Ryuga)
- Tengu – Takahiro Miura (Shin Godzilla, AOT live-action)
- Ōkubi – Renji Ishibashi (Reprising Role & Kamen Rider Decade’s Eijiro Hikari)
- Yadoki – Kenichi Endō (Previously Oh Tengu, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger’s Prince Junior)
- Amefurikozō – Hiroshi Aramata
- Ibarakidoji – SUMIRE (Marvel’s Inhumans’ Locus)
- Azukiarai – Takashi Okamura (Reprising Role)
- Shoji – Koji Okura (FLCL Progressive’s Marurao)
- Yokai Hikakin – Hikakin
The Great Yokai War: Guardians is scheduled to be released in Japan on August 13, 2021. The film is being produced OLM, Inc. while its distribution is being handled by Toho and Kadokawa Pictures. In addition, Hiroshi Aramata is serving as an executive producer having contributed to the previous film’s screenplay and being a historian. Furthermore, the original film was distributed in North America, but its home video release is out of print. Nevertheless, having this sequel is amazing, and we can only hope it will be distributed internationally too. Also, Hero-Club will attempt to provide updates if the film receives an international release, so stay tuned for more details.